Turkey Spinach Spaghetti & MeatballsSunday, April 07, 2013
From our skinny table to yours ...
Nothing says Sunday like sitting down to a comforting family dinner! Tonight we're making a skinny recipe redo of the classic spaghetti & meatballs supper. We swap out the calorie packed beef for lean ground turkey, add in sautéed spinach for color & flavor and serve this over one serving of whole wheat thin spaghetti to satisfy all our carb cravings at a fraction of the fat and calories.
Nutrition Facts per Serving
Calories: 508 (315 with spaghetti squash)
Fat: 11 grams
Carbs: 81.7 grams
Protein: 15 grams
Dietary Fiber: 28.4 grams
8oz whole wheat pasta (or 1 small spaghetti squash!)
16oz crushed tomatoes with basil
1 tsp Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano
4 garlic cloves
1/2 white onion
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 pound 93% lean ground turkey
2 tbsp skim milk
1/4 cup Italian seasoned panko
Salt & Pepper
Let's get cooking!
1. To make sauce, add crushed tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and Parmesan cheese to small pot and simmer on medium heat for at least 30 minutes.
2. In a deep sauté pan, add olive oil to pan and heat to medium low heat. Add spinach, chopped onion and minced garlic to pan and sauté for 5-6 minutes until translucent.
3. Mix together ground turkey, veggies, skim milk, panko, salt & pepper. Form meatballs and add back to sauté pan - mixture will make 12 balls (we made extra to freeze!).
4. Sauté meatballs for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Add sauce to pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
5. Cook pasta according to package directions and serve up into 4 pasta dishes. Top each bowl with 3 meatballs and 1/4 of the sauce.
Serves 4 healthy portions :)