Happy SNOWY Tuesday for those of you living in the northeast (like us)! Is there anything better than pulling out the crock pot on a wintery snowed in weekday? MMM we love Mexican food and thought a healthy Chicken Enchilada Soup would be the perfect addition to this chilly night!
We've had our crock pot's for quite some time and honestly haven't been putting them to good use. We broke ours out and trust us they are here to stay! We LOVE how EASY dinner was to prepare! We started out by sautéing up the our enchilada veggies....
...consisting of sliced red bell peppers, poblano peppers, red onion, zucchini, garlic and jalapeno! While the veggies are sautéing we started tossing the rest of our ingredients in the crock pot! This is where it gets fun! Toss in your lean chicken breast, corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, avocado, chicken stock, lime juice, traditional enchilada seasoning and LOTS of fresh cilantro!
CLOSE the LID and allow to slow cook for 5-6 hours and then shred your perfectly cooked chicken apart :)
We topped our enchilada soup with diced scallions, cilantro, red chili peppers (for wonderful heat) and a few crumbled tortilla chips! Hope you enjoy this one as much as we all did!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Serves: 10 (we love to freeze extras!)
Fat: 7.4 grams
Carbs: 21.7 grams
Dietary fiber: 5.9 grams
Protein: 16.8 grams
Ingredients *buy all organic ingredients when you can*
1 tbsp. coconut/olive oil
1 pound organic lean chicken breast
2 red bell peppers sliced
2 poblano peppers sliced
1 red onion sliced thinly
1 jalapeno chopped
6 garlic cloves minced
1 organic zucchini chopped
1 avocado chopped
2 cups organic frozen corn
1 15.5 oz can black beans - rinsed to remove excess sodium
4 tbsp. reduced fat organic Mexican cheese
3 cups organic diced tomatoes
3 cups organic chicken stock
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tbsp. oregano
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 large handful cilantro (+ more for garnish)
Salt & Pepper to taste
We garnished with cilantro, scallions, red chili peppers & 3-4 organic crushed tortilla chips
Let's get cooking!
1. Add coconut/olive oil to sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion, all peppers, jalapeno, garlic to pan. Sauté until browned and then add zucchini for an additional 2-3 minutes to brown.
2. While veggies are sautéing add all remaining ingredients to crock pot. Toss in raw whole chicken breasts, corn, black beans, avocado, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato paste, all spices listed above, Mexican cheese, cilantro and the juice from one lime.
3. Add sautéed veggies to crock pot.
4. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Remove chicken and shred apart. Add back to crock pot and continue to cook on low for an additional hour.
6. Set crock pot to warm until ready to eat!