Asian Chicken Lettuce WrapsWednesday, February 20, 2013
From our skinny table to yours ...
Chicken lettuce wraps are one of our go-to menu items to order out! We love them so much we figured we had to make our own healthy, delicious version to keep the sodium & calorie count in check. And let us tell you, these turned out amazing!
We loaded these with a TON of super low calorie veggies to bulk them up. We sautéed up garlic, ginger, onion, celery, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts for crunch. (Pepper, mushrooms, zucchini and carrots would be great additions too!) We added in diced lean chicken breast and seasoned it up with sesame seeds and stir-fry sauce, just be sure to check the calorie count of your favorite brand! We use Kikkoman which has just 20 calories per tablespoon. Spoon this delicious chicken filling into a cool, crunchy lettuce wrap for the perfect light lunch or dinner.
We have been making a ton of lettuce wraps lately which means lots of no carb meals. But to keep the hubs happy (& because these are so low calorie), we added a 1/2 cup of fine egg noodles to the chicken mixture. These would be just as tasty with brown rice, quinoa or rice noodles mixed in too. Or feel free to omit the carbs all together :)
Hope these satisfy all your takeout cravings!
Nutrition facts per serving
Serving size: 2 wraps
Fat: 10.2 grams
Carbs: 13.7 grams
Dietary fiber: 3.2 grams
Protein: 29.0 grams
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
1 inch ginger root
4 garlic cloves
1/2 white onion
6 celery stalks
1 8oz can water chestnuts
1 8 oz can bamboo shoots
1/2 cup fine egg noodles (optional)
1/2 cup stir-fry sauce
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 head lettuce
Extra virgin olive oil
Let's get cooking!
1. Heat a deep sauté pan to medium heat and add one tbsp of olive oil. Add minced garlic, ginger and chopped onion. Cook 2-3 minutes until veggies become fragrant.
2. Add diced chicken breast, chopped celery and cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
3. Rinse water chestnuts and bamboo shoots and finely chop. Add both to pan.
4. If you are adding fine egg noodles (brown rice, quinoa or rice noodles would work too!), cook according to package directions.
5. Add cooked noodles to your sauté pan and stir in stir-fry sauce.
6. Top chicken & veggies with sesame seeds.
7. Fill lettuce leaves with chicken & enjoy :)
Makes 4 healthy portions!