Strawberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken SalsaFriday, March 20, 2015
From our skinny table to yours ...
Happy SPRING!! Today we have a special spring treat for you ... 2 recipes for the price of reading one blog post to celebrate warmer weather & bikini season coming ;)
We are obsessed with fresh, homemade salsas. We eat them on everything. We mean everything. Cucumber 'chips' & salsa, on salads as a fresh dressing, for breakfast on scrambled eggs, in wraps for lunch & as a fresh topping to dinner almost daily!
First, our fresh strawberry balsamic salsa. This just screams springtime. If you're looking for a fresh, healthy appetizer to bring to BBQs, you need to try this one. It's a super simple combination of strawberries, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic and balsamic glaze.
To turn this deliciousness into a fresh dinner, fire up the grill (or grill pan if you are getting SNOW on the first day of spring like us today!) and grill up balsamic marinated chicken breast. Slice up your chicken and place on a bed of brown rice & quinoa and top with fresh strawberry salsa!
It's almost too pretty to eat ... almost ... hope you enjoy!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Fat: 6.4 grams
Carbs: 43.1 grams
Dietary Fiber: 4.9 grams
Protein: 42.7 grams
1 pound chicken breast (4 small breasts)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 cups diced strawberries
2 cups diced tomatoes (we used a mixture of yellow, orange & red tomatoes)
4 garlic cloves minced
Small handful of minced cilantro
1 tbsp balsamic glaze
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1/2 cup dry brown rice
Salt & pepper to season
Let's get cooking!
1. Marinate chicken breast in balsamic vinegar for 30 minutes.
2. Add 2 cups of water to sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add quinoa & brown rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes under liquid is absorbed. Season with a pinch of salt & pepper. (double check your quinoa/rice package directions!)
3. To make salsa, dice strawberries and tomatoes and add to bowl.
4. Add minced garlic and finely chopped cilantro to strawberries & tomatoes. Mix in balsamic glaze.
5. Heat grill to medium heat and cook chicken breast for 5-6 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove from pan & slice on the diagonal.
5. To serve, dish out 1/2 cup of brown rice & quinoa. Add sliced chicken and top with 1/2 cup of fresh salsa ... delicioussss :)
Makes 4 healthy portions!