Double Veggie Turkey ChiliThursday, February 19, 2015
We were SNOWED in this week!! I spent a fabulous day playing in the snow with my girlies, warmed up with some hot chocolate around the fireplace, got a bonus 'shoveling' workout in & finished the day off with a big pot of healthy & hearty chili ... yum!
Chili is the perfect meal if you're trying to sneak more veggies into your kiddos too. Once everything simmers, it all melts together & all the vegetables take on the flavors of the seasoning. We loaded ours up with peppers, onions, zucchini, garlic, corn & topped it off with fresh pico de gallo. And we seasoned it up with chili powder, cumin & cilantro ... deliciousss :)
This was definitely a winner in our house! And only took about 20 minutes of prep time ... win-win! We starting by sauteing up lean ground turkey then added our veggies & seasoned it up. We poured in low sodium, organic chicken stock & a can of no salt added tomato sauce and let it simmer away.
Hope you enjoy this one :)
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Fat: 13.4 grams
Carbs: 21.3 grams
Dietary Fiber: 5.1 grams
Protein: 26.9 grams
1 pound of 93% lean ground turkey
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 bell peppers (we used one green & one orange) diced
1 zucchini diced
1/2 white onion minced
4 garlic cloves minced
1 cup organic frozen corn
4 cups organic chicken stock
8 oz no sodium added tomato sauce
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
4 tbsp pico de gallo (We used fresh, store bought from the produce section but feel free to make your own! We were snowed in & didn't have everything on hand to make it!)
Handful of cilantro
Let's get cooking!
1. Add olive oil to large saucepan and heat to medium high heat. Add ground turkey and brown for 5-6 minutes.
2. Stir in minced garlic, diced onion, diced zucchini and diced bell peppers. Saute for 5 minutes until veggies are translucent.
3. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt & pepper. Stir to combine,
4. Add chicken stock, tomato sauce & corn to pot and simmer for 25 minutes.
5. Dish out into 4 hearty bowls. Top with 1 tbsp of pico de gallo & fresh cilantro.
* Feel free to add cayenne pepper for a spicy kick. I was making it for my girlies too so made a mild version. *
Makes 4 healthy portions!