Citrus Ginger Chicken with QuinoaTuesday, January 13, 2015
From our skinny table to yours ...
If eating more vegetables was on your resolution list this year, we have the perfect dish for you! This skinny stir fry is packed with lean protein, tons of veggies & served on top of protein packed quinoa ... our go-to grain! We start with freshly grated garlic & ginger and minced onion. Garlic is packed with antioxidants, improves cholesterol & can even help strengthen your immune system so eat up this winter ;)
We then saute up half lean chicken breast and half vegetables (we used asparagus!). The sauce is a simple combination of orange juice, lime juice & a splash of soy sauce. It's sweet from the orange juice but a little spicy from the freshly grated ginger.
Serve over a bed of quinoa and top with freshly grated orange & lime zest and fresh cilantro. YUM! And it all comes together in about 20 minutes time making it the perfect busy weekday meal.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Fat: 9.8 grams
Carbs: 50.7 grams
Dietary Fiber: 9.4 grams
Protein: 43 grams
1 pound of organic chicken breast
1 large bunch of asparagus (about a pound)
3 large garlic clove minced
1 tablespoon of minced ginger
1/4 white onion minced
1 tbsp soy sauce
Handful of chopped cilantro
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup of dry quinoa
Let's get cooking!
1. Add 1 cup dry quinoa and 2 cups water to a saucepan. Bring to a boil then cover and cook on low for 20 minutes.
2. Mince garlic, onion & ginger.
3. Heat saute pan to medium heat and add EVOO and garlic, onion & ginger. Cook 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Remove veggies from pan and set aside.
4. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and cook in remaining oil left in saute pan. Top with zest of one orange. Stir occasionally until cooked through then remove from pan and add to cooked veggies.
5. Chop asparagus into bite size pieces and add to pan. Saute 3-4 minutes until tender crisp.
6. Meanwhile add juice of oranges, lime and soy sauce to bowl and whisk to combine.
7. Add veggies, chicken and sauce to pan with asparagus & stir to combine. Cook 2 minutes to warm through.
8. Dish out 1/4 of your quinoa and top with 1/4 of your chicken stir-fry.
10. Top each dish with orange zest, lime zest and sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
Makes 4 healthy servings :)