Mexican Chopped SaladTuesday, October 29, 2013
From our skinny table to yours ...
We are always craving Mexican food! To keep our cravings satisfied & our waistlines happy, we are constantly creating new recipes that are easy, healthy and delicious. Tonight we are whipping up our Mexican chop salad and boy is this one a winner!
This salad is a colorful chopped combination of organic baby spinach, grilled corn, vine ripe tomatoes, avocado, grilled chicken, shredded cheddar cheese and topped with fresh cilantro. We drizzle this with our homemade fruity mango vinaigrette. This dressing is SO good it actually gets the hubs requesting salad night!
We love chopped salads because they are super easy to throw together for a busy weeknight dinner. Feel free to swap up the veggies in this one with your favorites too ... diced zucchini, chopped peppers & onions or mushrooms would all be delicious here! Hope you enjoy :)
Nutrition Facts Per Serving - Mexican Chopped Salad
Makes 4 Servings
Calories 387 (496 with dressing)
Fat 18.1 grams
Carbs 13.5 grams
Dietary Fiber 7.3 grams
Protein 43.8 grams
Ingredients - Mexican Chopped Salad
1 pound thinly sliced chicken breast
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
16 oz baby spinach
1 cup frozen organic corn
1 cup diced tomato
1 avocado chopped
4 tbsp reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1 handful cilantro chopped
Salt & pepper
Nutrition Facts Per Serving - Mango Vinaigrette
Makes 4 Servings
Fat 7.3 grams
Carbs 11 grams
Dietary Fiber 1.1 grams
Protein 0.4 grams
Ingredients - Mango Vinaigrette
1 mango fruit diced
4 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 cup cilantro
Salt & Pepper
Let's get cooking!
1. To make dressing, add diced fresh mango, orange juice, vinegar and olive oil to blender. Season with garlic, onion, brown sugar, salt & pepper. Add in fresh chopped cilantro & blend until smooth.
2. Heat grill pan to medium high heat and add olive oil. Season chicken with salt & pepper and grill on each side (4-5 minutes) until cooked through. Remove chicken, dice and set aside.
3. Add corn to pan and grill 2-3 minutes until browned.
4. Dice tomato & avocado and finely chop cilantro.
5. Plate up baby spinach and layer on tomato, grilled corn, avocado, chicken and top with cheddar cheese.
6. Drizzle on 2 tbsp of homemade dressing & enjoy!
Makes 4 healthy portions :)