Avocado, Black Bean & Farro Stuffed PepperThursday, August 15, 2013
From our skinny table to yours...
We had ourselves a little 'grain-off' tonight! Reason being... we LOVE quinoa, however our hubs aren't so pleased with that little seed. We thought maybe it was an acquired taste and kept trying to push it, unfortunately this hasn't worked out so well. (hint: if your hubbies are anything like ours mix quinoa in any lean ground meat and they won't even know it's there) We decided to move on to farro! This ancient grain was well received :)
This was our first time making farro, and thought 'hiding' it in a stuffed pepper would be a top notch idea! We decided on an Avocado and Farro Stuffed Pepper and they were absolutely delish!
Hope you enjoy this one :)
P.S. farro won the 'grain-off' as hubs thought it was actually rice in the pepper until he was informed otherwise ;)
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Serving size: 1 pepper
Fat: 11.3 grams
Carbs: 29.2 grams
Dietary fiber: 9.5 grams
Protein: 14.5 grams
1/4 pound 99% lean organic ground turkey
4 bell peppers
1 avocado chopped
1 cup cooked farro
1/3 cup reduced sodium black bean
1/3 cup frozen corn
1 jalapeno chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
1 small yellow onion chopped
2 cups cherry tomatoes chopped
6 tbsp. reduced fat Mexican cheese
1 tsp cumin
1 handful fresh cilantro
Let's get cooking!
1. Preheat oven to 400. Cut the tops off of peppers. Spray baking dish with non-stick spray. Place peppers on tray and bake 10 minutes to soften
2. Cook farro according to package directions
3. While peppers are cooking spray skillet with non-stick spray. Add onions, garlic, jalapeno, cumin and ground turkey. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until meat is cooked through. Add black beans, corn, tomatoes, and juice and zest from lime.
4. Once farro is cooked, add farro, avocado and 2 tbsp. Mexican cheese to skillet.
5. Fill pre-cooked peppers with mixture. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove foil and top each pepper with 1 tbsp. Mexican cheese. Bake for an additional 10 minutes to melt cheese
Serves 4 healthy portions! Enjoy :)