Mexican Quinoa SaladMonday, July 15, 2013
From our skinny table to yours ...
Today we are switching up the typical pasta salad and making a cold quinoa salad! Quinoa is one of our favorite protein sources. If you haven't yet tried quinoa, what are you waiting for? It's super easy to make, heart healthy & high in fiber and protein making it a delicious winner all around.
We start with two cups of cold cooked quinoa (1 cup dry makes 2 cups cooked) and mix in fresh avocado, red bell pepper, ripe tomatoes, corn, black beans and fresh cilantro. Our salad dressing is a light and citrusy lime vinaigrette. We simply whisk together lime juice & olive oil and season it up with garlic, onion and a touch of brown sugar for sweetness.
This recipe makes 6-8 (6 as a full lunch or 8 as a side dish!) servings and is the perfect 'pasta' salad for summer BBQs as there is no mayo. We served this up as a side dish for dinner but we were happy to have leftovers for lunch for the next couple days :)
Hope you enjoy this Mexican twist on the typical pasta salad!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Fat 10.7 grams
Carbs 38.5 grams
Dietary Fiber 8.4 grams
Protein 9.5 grams
1 cup dry quinoa
1 red pepper
1 cup corn
1 cup black beans
1 cup cilantro
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp brown sugar
Salt & Pepper
Let's Get Cooking!
1. Cook 1 cup dry quinoa according to package directions. Refrigerate to chill.
2. To make dressing, combine juice of 3 limes, olive oil, garlic, onion and brown sugar. Whisk to combine.
3. Chop avocado, tomato and red bell pepper. Add to dressing.
4. Add corn and black beans (if you use canned, make sure to rinse them to remove the excess sodium!) to salad.
5. Stir in quinoa and cilantro.
6. Season with salt & pepper ... Enjoy!