Tomato Basil Calzone with Turkey PepperoniWednesday, June 26, 2013
From our skinny table to yours...
Do you crave pizza as much as we do? It's certainly one of our favorite guilty pleasures, however there is no need to feel guilty with this meal! Tonight we are putting a twist on the ever-so-fattening CALZONE. Don't worry we know what we are doing when it comes to healthy and delicious recipe re-do's ;) Ready for the secret? We BAKE our calzones up in a whole wheat pita. It's an easy swap and so freaking good!
Not only is this delicious but super easy as well! We start off by making a quick and healthy homemade sauce. We simply sauteed up grape tomatoes, garlic, red onion, fresh basil and jalapeno for a nice spicy kick! If you haven't noticed we are a little obsessed with spicy foods!
We packed this HEALTHY calzone with even more veggies... nutrient rich fresh spinach. We simply sauteed up lots of fresh spinach with garlic for the perfect addition to our calzone. The hard part (which took all of ten minutes) is now over ;) All that's left is to stuff your calzone!
Just seeing this makes us want seconds... YUM! We finished these up by stuffing one tablespoon of reduced fat mozzarella cheese into each half! Trust us this is more than enough, we love our cheese and won't be stingy here! What's a cheese pizza without pepperoni? Yes, we are healthy eaters and are adding in pepperoni! We told you this would be satisfying. Simply add in 3 slices of turkey pepperoni to each half and WALAA you are finished!
Pop these in the oven to melt the cheese and you be settling those pizza cravings in no time at all! Hope you enjoy :)
If you like this one be sure to try another I Don't Go to the Gym calzone variety, our chicken and broccoli white calzone!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Serving size: 1 full pita
Fat: 11.6 grams
Carbs: 36.9 grams
Dietary fiber: 5.4 grams
Protein: 14.7 grams
WW points: 8
4 whole wheat pita bread (ours were 140 calories)
2 cups grape tomatoes halved
6 garlic cloves minced
1-2 jalapenos sliced (depending on how spicy you want it)
1 small red onion chopped
6 cups fresh spinach
1 handful fresh basil
24 slices turkey pepperoni
8 tbsp reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
Let's get cooking!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Add one tbsp olive oil to saute pan. Saute tomatoes, jalapeno, half of garlic, and onion over medium high heat for approx 7-8 mins or until softened and lightly brown. Add half of basil and stir to turn this into a sauce like consistency. Remove from heat and set aside
3. Add remaining olive oil and garlic to the same saute pan over medium heat. Add in spinach and cook for approx 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Remove from heat and set aside
4. Slice pitas in half and stuff each pita with 1/8 of all ingredients. Then add one tbsp mozzarella cheese to each pita. Top with fresh basil and 3 slices of turkey pepperoni
5. Place pitas in oven and cook for approx 7 minutes or until cheese melts and pitas begin to crisp
Serves 4 healthy portions! Enjoy :)