Vegetable LasagnaMonday, March 25, 2013
From our skinny table to yours ...
Well it looks like winter is back! We don't know about where you are but we definitely had a snowy morning here. We figured we would make the best of it and cook up a warm, comforting lasagna for dinner. A vegetable lasagna that is :)
If you're looking for an easy way to get extra veggies into your kids or significant other, this is definitely the meal to make. We start with a spinach filled tomato sauce then sauté up garlic, onion & zucchini to add to our part skim creamy ricotta cheese filling. We use whole wheat lasagna noodles for extra protein and fiber then top this with a generous amount of part skim mozzarella cheese for a bubbly crust! And at ONLY 312 calories per serving, could it get any better?
Here's to hoping Spring is back soon, enjoy!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Fat: 9.3 grams
Carbs: 40.4 grams
Dietary Fiber: 8.5 grams
Protein: 19.2 grams
10oz whole wheat lasagna noodles
12oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1 cup frozen spinach
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 white onion
4 garlic cloves
12oz part skim ricotta cheese
4oz part skim mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp reduced fat Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
Salt & pepper
Let's get cooking!
1. Add crushed tomatoes, water and spinach to medium pot and bring to a simmer.
2. Add oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and Parmesan cheese to sauce. Stir to combine and cook at least 30 minutes.
3. Heat olive oil to medium heat in a sauté pan. Chop garlic, onion and zucchini and add to pan. Sauté for 5 minutes until softened.
4. Add vegetables to ricotta cheese and stir to combine.
5. Cook noodles according to packed directions.
6. In 9x13 pan, add one ladle of sauce to bottom. Add one layer on noddles then half your ricotta cheese mixture. Add two ladles of sauce, noodles, remaining cheese and additional sauce.
7. Top with last layer of noodles and remaining sauce. Finish with mozzarella cheese.
8. Cover dish with foil and bake on 425 for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven, dish out and enjoy :)
Makes 8 healthy portions!