Mexican Chicken Stuffed PoblanosFriday, February 15, 2013
From our skinny table to yours ...
We love Mexican food! And anytime we can have all our favorite Mexican flavors in a skinny supper, it's even better! Tonight we are making our Mexican Chicken Stuffed Poblanos. But these are anything but your typical stuffed peppers!
We start by roasting up spicy poblano peppers which we use in place of a fried tortilla to save a couple hundred calories! One fried tortilla is typically upwards of 250 calories vs. a poblano pepper that comes in at just 17 calories. We leave the seeds in for an extra spicy kick of flavor but feel free to remove them for a milder version. We stuff these with shredded chicken and sautéed peppers, onions, garlic, corn, tomato & cilantro. We mix in taco sauce (only 5-10 calories per tbsp depending on the brand!) and top these with a touch of part skim cheddar cheese.
These are so good and definitely make our list of favorite skinny substitutions! Hope you join us tonight by swapping out the calorie packed tortilla for a skinny stuffed pepper. Enjoy this one :)
Nutrition facts per serving
Serving size: 2 halves
Fat: 21.3 grams
Carbs: 30.0 grams
Dietary fiber: 5.1 grams
Protein: 32.9 grams
2 poblano peppers
1/2 pound chicken breast
1 red pepper
1/4 red onion
2-3 garlic cloves
1 cup frozen corn
1 handful cilantro
1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/4 cup taco sauce
1 tsp of cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Let's get cooking!
1. Slice your poblano peppers in half lengthwise and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil. Place on a baking pan and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes to soften.
2. Boil chicken until cooked through. Once cooled, shred chicken using two forks to pull apart the meat.
3. Heat a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add one tbsp of olive oil. Add chopped red pepper, red onion, minced garlic, corn and diced tomato to pan. Season with cumin & chili powder. Sauté for 5 minutes until veggies are tender.
4. Mix together shredded chicken, taco sauce, veggies and cilantro.
5. Place peppers in a baking dish and stuff each half with 1/4 of your chicken and top with 1 tbsp of cheese.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Enjoy :)
Makes 2 healthy portions!