Chicken Tortilla SoupWednesday, February 27, 2013
From our skinny table to yours ...
Tonight we are making our Chicken Tortilla Soup and honestly, this could not be easier! If you're just starting to cook for yourself or nervous in the kitchen, this is the perfect meal to make because it's fool proof and super delicious.
The skinny shortcut here is starting with a little help from the store and buying a rotisserie chicken. To keep it healthy, always remove the skin! Store bought rotisserie chickens also tend to be pretty high in sodium so this dish won't need any extra salt to season.
To start, we sauté up red onion and garlic until fragrant. We add in low sodium chicken stock, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, sliced jalapeños and our rotisserie chicken. Right before serving, we mix in a large handful of cilantro and top with fresh avocado chunks and a tablespoon of crispy tortilla strips for a crunchy finish and a pretty presentation. This soup has the perfect kick of heat from a pinch of cayenne pepper and sliced jalopeno balanced by the cool creaminess from our avocado topping. Delicious!
Hope you enjoy this one (twice!) :)
Fat: 15.5 grams
Carbs: 30.5 grams
Dietary Fiber: 9.6 grams
Protein: 24.4 grams
Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 1/2 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken (we just used the breast meat)
1/2 red onion chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
3 cups of low sodium chicken broth
1 can rinsed black beans
1 can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1 cup corn
1 large jalopeno sliced
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 handful of cilantro
Juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 cup of tortilla strips
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Let's get cooking!
1. Heat deep sauté pan over medium heat and add one tbsp of olive olive. Add red onion & garlic and sauté about 5-6 minutes until fragrant. Mix in your cayenne, cumin and chili powder.
2. Add in chicken stock, tomatoes, black beans and bring to a simmer.
3. Stir in shredded chicken, corn and sliced jalopeno. Cook at least 30 minutes.
4. Scoop out and dice avocado. Add to bowl and mix in lime juice & 1 tbsp of your chopped cilantro.
5. Before serving soup, mix in the remaining chopped cilantro.
6. Dish soup in bowl and top with 1/4 of your avocado chunks and tbsp of tortilla strips. Enjoy :)
Makes 4 healthy portions!