Chicken Pot Pie CasseroleSaturday, February 16, 2013
From our skinny table to yours ...
There's nothing more comforting than curling up on the couch on a chilly night with a warm bowlful of chicken pot pie! Until you realize you just consumed upwards of 750 calories & over 50% of your saturated fat for the day! Tonight we are heating things up with our hearty and healthy (not to mention guilt free!) Chicken Pot Pie Casserole. Our version skips the cream, the pie crust & the calories but when you are indulging in this delicious dinner, we promise you won't even miss it!
Hope you enjoy this delicious & nutritious chicken pot pie recipe redo :)
2/3 pound of chicken breast
1 pound carrots
1 cup baby peas
4 celery stalks
1/2 white onion
2-3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp olive oil
4 single sheets of phyllo dough
3 cups low sodium chicken stock
1. In a deep sauté pan, melt butter and mix in flour until lightly browned.
2. To pan, add peeled & chopped carrots, chopped celery, chopped white onion and minced garlic. Sauté 10 minutes over medium heat.
3. Stir in chicken stock and bring to a light simmer. Add chicken and simmer until cooked through. Remove chicken, shred and add back to pan.
4. Stir in peas and add chicken pie filling to a baking dish.
5. Layer one sheet on phyllo dough on top of pie filling and brush with olive oil. Repeat with all 4 layers on dough.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until top is brown and bubbly.
Serves 4 healthy portions :)