Baked Chicken ParmesanSunday, January 13, 2013
From our skinny table to yours ...
Sundays in our home always means sitting down to a family dinner and today is no exception. Tonight we're having an Italian classic - Chicken Parmesan! With a couple simple swaps, we turned this calorie packed comfort food into a skinny supper you can feel good about indulging in!
We start by coating thinly sliced chicken breast in a skim milk & egg white wash. We then coat the chicken in panko rather than the traditional bread crumb coating. Panko gives this dish all the crunch you crave in fried chicken cutlets but allows us to bake this dish cutting a ton of unnecessary calories! We top the cutlets with our homemade sauce filled with veggies and finish the dish with a layer of part skim mozzarella & Parmesan cheese.
If you're crunched for time, feel free to use a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce. Just make sure to check the label as different brands can have very different calorie counts!
Hope you enjoy this one and that it becomes a Sunday staple in your home too :)
2 large cans crushed tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
1 large carrot
1/2 small sweet potato
1/2 small yellow onion
Garlic 4-5 cloves
1 tbs oregano
1 handul fresh basil
1/4 cup parm cheese
1 tbs ricotta cheese
Pinch of salt
Let's get cooking!
1. Get sauce going before you start chicken cutlets.
2. Place raw carrots, onion, garlic and sweet potato into the food processor if you have one, if not chop ingredients finely. Blend well then add to pot with 2 tbs olive oil. Sauté until softened (approx 5 minutes)
3. Add all 4 cans of tomato sauce and mix well
4. Add oregano, chopped fresh basil and salt
5. Mix in both parm and ricotta and simmer for at least an hour! The longer you let cook, the better it will taste :)
Baked Chicken Parmesan Ingredients
1 pound thinly sliced chicken breast
2 egg whites
1/4 cup skim milk
1 cup Italian seasoned Panko
2/3 cup of shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1 tsp Parmesan cheese
Extra virgin olive oil
Let's get cooking!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Beat together 2 egg whites and 1/4 cup skim milk & season with salt and pepper.
2. Coat chicken in egg wash then panko and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle chicken with 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil.
3. Bake for 10 minutes flipping halfway through.
4. Coat the bottom of a baking dish with homemade sauce. Place chicken in a single layer over sauce and top with another layer of sauce.
5. Distribute mozzarella cheese evenly over chicken cutlets and top with Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake for 5 additional minutes at 400 degrees then broil for 1-2 minutes until cheese starts to brown and bubble.
Makes 4 healthy portions!