Cilantro & Lime Chicken, Veggie and Quinoa SaladTuesday, December 18, 2012
From our skinny table to yours ...
Quinoa ... we seriously can't get enough of this stuff! It's protein packed, rich in fiber, gluten free, super heart healthy & takes on the flavor of anything you serve it with. Not to mention, super easy to make! Simply boil 2 parts water to one part quinoa and let simmer for about 15 minutes (double check package directions for timing!).
If you haven't yet tried quinoa, here's the perfect recipe to introduce this nutrient superstar into your diet. Tonight we're having a grilled chicken, veggie & quinoa salad with a cilantro & lime vinaigrette. We started by grilling up zucchini, peppers, onions, sun dried tomatoes, broccoli and corn with a hint of lime juice, cumin, salt & pepper for flavor. Added in just about 1/3 pound of grilled chicken for 2 servings since the quinoa is so protein packed. And topped it with our sweet & tangy cilantro lime vinaigrette!
This was SO flavorful & filling we suggest doubling up the recipe to have on hand, healthy lunches for the next couple days :) You'll be happy you did!
Hope you enjoy this one ... especially if it's your first time trying quinoa!
1/3 pound chicken (makes 2 servings)
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1 small zucchini
1 red pepper
1 broccoli crown
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/4 red onion
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette (will make enough for 4 servings!)
Juice of 1 lime
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tsp brown sugar
1 small garlic clove
1 tsp of chopped onion
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Handful of cilantro
Salt & pepper
Let's get cooking!
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions.
2. To make dressing, chop up 1 garlic clove and 1 tsp of onion and add to blender. Add in juice of one lime, orange juice, olive oil, vinegar, brown sugar and a small handful of cilantro. Mix to combine and season with salt & pepper.
3. Chop up your veggies into bite size pieces.
4. Heat up grill pan to medium high heat and cook veggies until tender crisp. Once cooked, stir in the juice of half a lime & a tsp of cumin for seasoning.
5. Remove veggies and set aside.
6. Chop up chicken into bite sized pieces. Grill and season the same as the veggies.
7. Once quinoa is cooked, mix in 1/4 of the dressing directly to the quinoa.
8. Plate up with 1/2 the quinoa, veggies and chicken. Serve warm and top with a bit more dressing to finish!
Makes 2 healthy servings (4 servings of dressing - trust us, you'll want this on hand to dip veggies all week!). Enjoy :)